How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12686
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently payimn 20K per year to my ex-wife and i recently

Customer Question

i am currently payimn 20K per year to my ex-wife and i recently had a change insular (down 20%) and want to get alimony reduced how do i obtain her past few years of tax info
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Hi,.If she wants to comply, she can simply sign this form, a 4506-T and on line 5 authorize IRS to send the transcrips to you.However, as this will have to be petitioned for anyway you can CERTAINLY get them through the discovery process, where the court will make her (or her attorney) produce the returns under discovery..Let me know if you have questions....lane.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks - i was hoping there was a website that could obtain those records
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, the law protects taxpayer's tax return information from disclosure to other parties by the Internal Revenue Service. Section 6103 of the code generally prohibits the release of tax information by IRS..You'll either have to get her to allow (through using the 4506-T) OR force the issue through discovery by the court ... fairly typical when you're petitioning for a change..Hope this has helped..Lane.I hope you'll rate me positively, using the stars on your screen … (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) … based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content.
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Did you see my answer about IRC sectoin 6103?
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Hi,.Did my answer help?.Lane.