How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just formed a single member LLC sole purpose of investing

Customer Question

I just formed a single member LLC for the sole purpose of investing with a builder on a custom home which will be built at his cost, used as a model for a short time, and the profits split after sale. I am opening a separate LLC bank account to hold the funds for draws during construction. I own the lot. I am filling out Vanguard's new acct forms and have a new EIN. Am I subject to backup withholding? If exempt, Under what organizational exemption? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist. If you use an EIN for your LLC, you are not subject to backup withholding. You escape backup withholding by providing your EIN, or TIN, to vendors, including Vanguard. You are exempt because you should not be receiving Form 1099-MISC (the form is only for individuals). Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer