Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I want to retire in nevada,my sole source of income will be

Customer Question
my pension,my 401k,the equity from...
I want to retire in nevada,my sole source of income will be my pension,my 401k,the equity from my home sale that i would use as a down payment for my new place in nevada.my wife and i would like to get a rental in Califronia to use when we come to visit. can i have a rental in our names to do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/24/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Yes - you may have rental income from California.However if you will be a Nevada resident - ONLY Nevada may tax your retirement income - and because Nevada doesn't have income tax - your pension and 401k distributions woudl NOT be taxable for you.However rental income from the California property woudl be income from California sources - and as such will be taxed in California.
no i want to rent a place in california so i have a place to stay when i visit
If you will rent a place in California - that is OK.However - there will be a risk the California taxing authorities will be consider you as a resident...That may result additional tax assessment on ALL your income.While there is nothing wrong in renting dwelling - you woudl put yourself in the gray area - and that will make very hard to proof that you moved out of California and actually changed your residency.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney