Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to reapply student loan deferment. I got married

Customer Question
I need to reapply for...
I need to reapply for my student loan deferment. I got married in the past year. My "family" size is now 2. I am about to file my taxes for 2014.
I need to know if it is better to file jointly or separate so I can ensure a deferment approval.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/23/2015
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
As you are married, you can either file married filing jointly or separately. Either filing status indicates that you are married, would could affect the approval of the deferment. If you are filing for the deferment based on economic hardship, income (your income and your spouse's income) is taken into consideration. SEE BELOW: While there is no deferment for being married, being married does not affect your ability to qualify for a deferment. It can, however, impact your income. If you are hoping to qualify for a deferment based on economic hardship, your household income will be used to make a determination. However, your ability to make payments is calculated based on your family size and income. Generally, if your income is below 150 percent of the poverty guideline for your family size, you can qualify for a deferment due to economic hardship for a maximum of three years. REFERENCE SOURCE:http://budgeting.thenest.com/can-deferral-student-loans-am-married-21421.html Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant