emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I got a call stating IRS and I'm in trouble and to call right

Customer Question

I got a call stating IRS and I'm in trouble and to call right away . I called and Gerry wiltinx stated there was a discrepency in our 2oo8,2010, 2o13 taxes and I owe IRS2,986.73 and I was going to be arrested and taken to jail .I need to pay this today or I be arested.stated IRS code 101 states they sent out 2 letters.I think this is a scam.I never got any letters.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. It is definitely a scam. IRS don't call you unless you give them permission to do so, don't threaten with jail and don't demand immediate payment. That's not how IRS operates. There's link from Miami local channel warning about IRS scams: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/IRS-Warns-of-Phone-Scam-That-Threatens-and-Demands-Money-289648401.html
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
It seems like Florida is one of the biggest target for scammer. Here's link to IRS website how to reported it: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Report-Phishing If you get a phone call from somebody claiming to be IRS get a name a batch number and call 1-***-***-**** to verify if the person is really an IRS employee with a legitimate reason to contact you and to report scam. And please don't send them any money. Let me know if you have any questions.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
In April there was an article in FORBES online about the ongoing phone scams. They claim 2015 looks to be the worst one so far. http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelzakkour/2015/04/14/i-r-s-tax-phone-scam-claims-more-victims-than-ever-as-2015-tax-day-arrives/
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You so much .I know I don't owe IRS any thing .I'm so great full for your help.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome. If you know you don't owe anything to IRS don't worry. I even got one of those scam phone calls and the phone number they called was only listed on my husband's resume posted online. When I started asking questions and said I will send check directly to IRS via secured channels they hanged up.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Anyway, is there anything else I can help you with today?