Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I borrowed money from my retirement savings plan IRA and was

Customer Question
told they had 60 days...
I borrowed money from my retirement savings plan IRA and was told they had 60 days to pay it back when I went to pay it back after about 50 days they told me I had 90 days I want to pay it back on the 90's today and they told me that they made a mistake it's only 60 days now I'm being taxed on the money what should I do and they won't accept a reinvest for the full amount
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/23/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Unfortunately - that is correct.The tax law specifically disallow borrowing from IRA accounts - that is classified as a prohibited transaction and reported as taxable distribution.See IRS publication 590B - page 22http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdfThe following are some examples of prohibited transactions with a traditional IRA.--- Borrowing money from it.Regarding 60 day period - if we take the money out of IRA and deposit that amount into another (or the same IRA) that transaction is classified as tax-free rollover - and not a distribution.See the same publication - very first page What's New for 2015 - Application of one-rollover-per-year limitation. Beginning in 2015, you can make only one rollover from an IRA to another (or the same) IRA in any 12-month period regardless of the number of IRAs you own. However, you can continue to make unlimited trustee-to-trustee transfers between IRAs because it is not considered a rollover.
I'm not sure if it is actually an IRA otherwise I don't think Putnam would have allowed me borrowing the money
Regarding your relations with the administrator of your account - if you think they acted incorrectly and violated the agreement - that is a different issue.However - based on your information - I do not see any violation...You requested a distribution - and that distribution was granted. You asked to rollover that distribution back after 60 days period - and that request was correctly rejected according to the tax law.As you were provided incorrect information - and that resulted damages - such situation might be viewed as a civil matter between you and Putnam - and you may ask for compensation.However - there is nothing we may do to have the money rolled over after 60 day period. That is not allowed and the IRS would treat that as taxable distribution.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney