Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Somone from the Federal Tax Commission, tele#--

Customer Question
Somone from the Federal Tax...

Somone from the Federal Tax Commission, tele#***-***-**** called me 7/21 and told me that I had won a sweepstake and that I need to send $960 in order to receive my money: $950.000, the person's name is ***** ***** my phone pad, it said that the call was from Bedford, OH. I told her that I just had been scammed of "$1125 and that I did not have money. She talked to her supervisor and he said that if I could send $450 it would be ok. She told me to go and get the money and call her back and she would tell me where to send it?? Does the Federal Tax commision takes care of something like this or is it a scam? Please let me know. THANK YOU SO MUCH! *********, *********, ******** - *********

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/22/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi Jeanine,That is a scam - do NOT send any money.Nowadays - the person might be in ANY location around the world - and be presented as from OH.You may report that call to legal authorities in your state.
IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting - If you believe you have been a victim of an IRS Impersonation Scam, please fill out the form below.https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtmlAccording to the IRSAn aggressive and sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, has been making the rounds throughout the country. Callers claim to be employees of the IRS, but are not. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They use fake names and bogus IRS identification badge numbers. They may know a lot about their targets, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling. Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting.Or, victims may be told they have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information.If the phone isn't answered, the scammers often leave an “urgent” callback request.Note that the IRS will never: 1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill; 2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe; 3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card; 4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or 5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor