How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I withdrew a lump sum from my superannuation to pay

Customer Question

I withdrew a lump sum from my superannuation to pay for dental work.I received a payment summary from my super fund.Do I include it in my tax return and can I claim my dental costs as a tax deduction.Hope you can help me. Scotty Roberts
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Q1: Do I include it in my tax return?A1: Whether or not you have to include the amount in your tax return depends on your age. SEE BELOW: If aged under 55, taxed at 22%If aged between the preservation age and 59 years, the first $185,000 is tax free and the balance is taxed at 17% REFERENCE SOURCE: ADDITIONAL INFO: Q2: can I claim my dental costs as a tax deduction.A2: For tax purposes, the Australian Tax Office lumps dental expenses together with other medical expenses. Unfortunately, this means you can’t claim back your dental expenses ‘dollar for dollar’ – but there are some savings to be had.If you have more than $2060 net medical expenses (your total medical expenses minus Medicare and private health rebates) within one tax year, you can claim 20% of the amount above $2060 as a deductible expense. REFERENCE SOURCE: Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.