How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15711
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have not filed a tax return in a few years. I owe about $8,000.

Customer Question

I have not filed a tax return in a few years. I owe about $8,000. What is the best route to filing and setting up a payment plan?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,The best thing would be to get the returns completed (oldest first) and filed. You can request an Installment arrangement to pay off any tax liability that you have.Until you file the prior returns your statute of limitations for assessment does not end. That means the IRS can assess taxes on those years any time in the future. The time for collections does not end either until you file.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you need more information especially about the installment agreement.