How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retiring from the state of New Jersey in October and I

Customer Question

I am retiring from the state of New Jersey in October and I have worked for 31 years. I will receive 3690.14 monthly before taxes. I was wondering how much they will take out for taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
Unless you tell the state to stop or change your withholding on the pension, the same designation you had for your wages (as far as your W4 showed) will continue for your pension.
There will not be any SS or Medicare withheld though.
You can complete a NJ-W-4P form to change your withholding or request they completely stop withholding.
To tell you how much they will withhold depends on what your current W4 designation is (filing status and exemptions).
To help you make a choice on your withholding:
If you do not live in New Jersey, your pension is not subject to New Jersey State income tax. If you live in New Jersey, your pension is taxable when you have recovered in retirement checks an amount equal to your total contributions to the pension plan.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
If you need me to estimate what your tax liability would be please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be great!
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Be happy to. Please tell me your age, filing status, all income (spouse too if joint filer) listed per source and dollar amount

Related Tax Questions