Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A certain nonprofit tax preparer repeatedly failed to notify

Customer Question
a client that the online...
A certain nonprofit tax preparer repeatedly failed to notify a client that the online tax filing was rejected by IRS and the correction that had to be made. The nonprofit acted with malice/prejudice and wanted the client to miss the tax filing deadline
and refund. Would the client have standing to successfully sue the nonprofit for any damages ensued?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/20/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
In order to establish a malpractice claim against a tax preparer, you will have to establish that the tax preparer failed to meet minimum professional standards, and that you suffered damages because of this.
You will need to show a direct relationship between the tax preparer's malpractice and the damages that you suffered.
The following link contains excellent detailed information which you will find helpful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6030032_sue-tax-preparer-malpractice.html
Another alternative would be to report the tax preparer to the IRS:
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/Make-a-Complaint-About-a-Tax-Return-Preparer
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.Best regards,Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent