How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question was if i move to hawaii and live there do i have

Customer Question

My question was if i move to hawaii and live there do i have to pay state tax on tsp withdraws and on my government pension I get from the FAA. I was told they do not tax them there Please answer this time for me Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,In Hawaii, Social Security, first tier Railroad Retirement benefits, military, federal, state/local, and some private pensions are exempt. All out-of-state government pensions are exempt. Also, employer-funded pension plans are exempt. Distributions from private employer pension plans received upon retirement are partially taxed by the state if the employee contributed to the pension plan.Only ten states exclude all federal, state, and local pension income from taxation. These include Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New York and Pennsylvania.Hawaii starts with the federal income form your 1040 then subtractions and additions are made. Line 13 of the Hawaii form would be used to show the subtractions.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Please advise if you need additional assistance. There is no extra charge for follow up or clarification.