Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My question was if i move to hawaii and live there do i have

Customer Question
to pay state tax on...
My question was if i move to hawaii and live there do i have to pay state tax on tsp withdraws and on my government pension I get from the FAA. I was told they do not tax them there Please answer this time for me Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/19/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,In Hawaii, Social Security, first tier Railroad Retirement benefits, military, federal, state/local, and some private pensions are exempt. All out-of-state government pensions are exempt. Also, employer-funded pension plans are exempt. Distributions from private employer pension plans received upon retirement are partially taxed by the state if the employee contributed to the pension plan.Only ten states exclude all federal, state, and local pension income from taxation. These include Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New York and Pennsylvania.Hawaii starts with the federal income form your 1040 then subtractions and additions are made. Line 13 of the Hawaii form would be used to show the subtractions.
Please advise if you need additional assistance. There is no extra charge for follow up or clarification.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4