How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15605
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the sole beneficiary of my brother's will. I am also

Customer Question

I am the sole beneficiary of my brother's will. I am also the Executor of the Will. Australian Super will shortly give me a cheque for about $215 000 for his estate. What tax am I liable to pay on this amount?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,In most cases, when a person dies, their superannuation fund will pay their remaining super to the person they have chosen as their nominated beneficiary. The tax on a super death benefit depends on:whether the person receiving the benefit is a dependant or non-dependant of the deceased personwhether the benefit is paid as a lump sum or superannuation income streamwhether the super is taxable or tax free, and whether the super fund has already paid tax on the taxable componentthe age of the person receiving the benefitthe age of the deceased person when they died.If you receive a death benefit as the trustee of a deceased estate, the estate pays tax on behalf of the beneficiaries of the super. The amount of tax that the estate must pay is the same as it would have been if the payment was paid directly to the beneficiary, excluding the Medicare levy. You do not need to pay tax on the tax-free component of a death benefit.The superfund should be able to advise on any tax that has been paid and any tax free portion.