Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am running local public office in November and would

Customer Question
I am running for a...
I am running for a local public office in November and would like to begin accepting donations directly to a bank account. I want to be considered a section 527 tax exempt political organization and file form 8871.
Does current tax law require me to establish an EIN#?
Is there a way I can avoid the EIN and just use my personal SS#?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/17/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,If you want to file form 8871 you have to supply an EIN. The form requires it. A political organization must have its own employer identification number (EIN), even if it does not have any employees.Political parties; campaign committees for candidates for federal, state or local office; and political action committees are all political organizations subject to tax under IRC section 527.
You did not respond so I am hoping that the information addressed your concern.
Yes, political parties, etc. may be political organizations who are subject to tax under IRC section 527, however if the dollar flow remains under $25,000 per year in donations, they are still tax-exempt correct?
The $25,000 is a filing requirement. Organizations that reasonably expects annual gross receipts to always be less than $25,000 remain exempt and do not have to file.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4