Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IF YOU PAY A NON-CORPORATE ENTITY LOCATED IN CANADA, ARE YOU

Customer Question
REQUIRED TO ISSUE THEM A...
iF YOU PAY A NON-CORPORATE ENTITY LOCATED IN CANADA, ARE YOU REQUIRED TO ISSUE THEM A FORM 1099-MISC WHEN YOU PAY THEM IN EXCESS OF $ 1,000,00?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/17/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,No, there's no tax reporting (other than documenting your expenas via cancelled check/bank statement) or withholding as long as the person performs services IN Canada
That's becasue this is not US Source Income
What you should consider doing is having the indivual completela W-8Ben to document their foreign presence AND that they own the income and are subject to the US/Canada Tax Treaty, which says that they are taxed in their resident state.
They do not need a tax ID to do this.
You do not file but keep for your record, in the even of an audit to document that you do not need to withhold.
Let me know if you have questions..
Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS