How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented my house through air bob this financial year with

Customer Question

I rented my house through air bob this financial year with a rental income of approx $10,000, however in order to be able to rent the house we had to renovate an apartment under our house in which to stay while our house was being rented. This cost approx $25,000.
When declaring the $10,000 rental income am I able to deduct costs incurred of $25,000?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
HelloUnfortunately no. The costs to renovate your own living space is not a deduction even under capital works. The apartment is for your personal use and producing income so you would not be allowed to deduct that expense.I sincerely ***** ***** could advise differently.