Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband is working a full time job. We are now collecting

Customer Question
My husband is working a...
My husband is working a full time job. We are now collecting social security is not being taxed. My question is: What do I need to do to avoid a huge tax payment at the end of 2015?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/14/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,.The way this works is as follows:.THe amount off your social security that is taxed depends on what's called "combined income."If you file a JOINT return and you and your spouse have a combined income* that isbetween $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefitsmore than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable..* Note:Your adjusted gross income+ Nontaxable interest+ ½ of your Social Security benefits= Your "combined income".SO, there's not a lot you can do EXCEPT trying to manage your total income so that your COMBINED income* comes in at below one of those two threshholds (below $32,000 or below - not taxable - or below $44,000, 50% taxable - and again, above $44,000, 85% taxable).And again COMBINED income is... Your adjusted gross income+ Nontaxable interest+ ½ of your Social Security benefits= Your "combined income" .Hope this helps....Lane.If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen)… That’s the ONLY WAY I'll be credited for the work here, Thanks! … However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, be sure to come back here, so you won’t have to pay for an additional question.
… just checking back in to see how things are going.
Did my answer help?
Let me know…
Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS