Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The IRs in new England sent me a notice that they had refigured

Customer Question
my 2013 taxes and that...
The IRs in new England sent me a notice that they had refigured my 2013 taxes and that I owed them $1480. I sent them a check and noted on their form that I had not had time to review my taxes for 13 so was sending a check and would like to be able to review later. Several weeks later I got a letter from ogden Utah saying I did not need to do anything now and they would be back to me within 60 days. What does all of this mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/12/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,.What this means is that they are (INCREDIBLY) behind in work load..With the budget cuts and this year's furloughs IRS has, on average, one person doing what three people did several years ago before the first shut-down..We've seen checks not being cashed, thngs that used to take 30 days take three months, etc..I would simply use the time to do that review and then if needed do an amended return (1040X).
Hi,.What this means is that they are (INCREDIBLY) behind in work load..With the budget cuts and this year's furloughs IRS has, on average, one person doing what three eople did severla years age before the first shut-down..We've seen checks not being cashed, thngs that used to take 30 days take three months, etc..I would simply use the time to do that review and then if needed do an amended return (1040X).
Hte first notice kicked out of the system based on the information they had (1099s - W-2s etc).....VERY possible that this had not (at that point) been touched by a warm body..Upon receipt of your response, likely one of two things has happened; (1) a quick reveiew has revealed that the initial assessment was incorrect and this doesn't fit into something that can be processed quickly (2) they have simlpy out this in the "to be processed" pile becasue you've satisfied the underage as per the notice, and this is no longer an urgent issue for them..Either way, without more information, I wouldn't read any particular meaning into things as they are..Your sending in the check (very wise) has put this "into their court.".Please let me know if you have more questions...Lane.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS