How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being audited and I don't have the documentation

Customer Question

I am being audited for 2013 and I don't have the documentation to prove my deductions, charitable contributions, or mileage driven. Can I file an ammended tax return and remove all the deductions and pay the additional tax and penalties and not have to go to the audit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!You woudl NOT be able to avoid the audit at this stage - but you may contact the auditor and submit the amended tax return to review - and the auditor woudl not ask to support deductions which you agree to remove.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think this would be the proper approach for me at this time. I do not have the documentation because I home was burgularized and then I moved and do not have any documentation to prove the deductions.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
I woudl discuss the situation with a local CPA if he/she agree to represent you during the audit and verify what are you chances to reduce at least some of tax liability.
I think that some supporting documents might be re-established - and still may be accepted by the auditor.
If there is NO chance to fight any possible charges - and if that position woudl be conformed by a local CPA - then - yes - I woudl agree with your approach - to step up with an amended tax return.
Sorry for your situation.
Let me know if you need any help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was asking if this would be my best strategy since I have no documentatioin to backup the deductions, etc?
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Yes - if there is NO supporting documents and you expect that the auditor will disallow deductions anyway - you may step up with your amended tax return - and agree to pay any outstanding tax liability.
That will save you time and effort as long as you do not have any hope to get these deduction agreed.
That would be the best strategy instead of fighting and loosing.