How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working with a client who has a partnership H/W, in the

Customer Question

I am working with a client who has a partnership H/W, in the state of Arkansas. a couple of questions.... Can they retain the LLC and be a qualified joint venture, seems I read that they can't have the limited liability status with a qualified joint venture.
They use part of their home to store equipment, exclusively, where does this Home deduction go, does it go on the partnership or the personal return?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
You are correct. Only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as co-owners (and not in the name of a state law entity) qualify for the election.
The LLC would not allow them to claim as joint venture.
When the taxpayer is an employee or a partner, use the Worksheet To Figure the Deduction for Business Use of Your Home, near the end of publication 587. Then that is carried to the personal return.
Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so it would end up being an itemized deduction, subject to 2%? I didn't think that a partner could be an employee of the partnership.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
I stated employee too because they both (employee or partner) would do the same when claiming the deduction. Yes 2% limitation would apply.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Did you want the link to the IRS source?