How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3607
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in California about 20 years, but I'm Canadian

Customer Question

I have lived in California about 20 years, but I'm Canadian and have some small Canadian retirement accounts (RRSP). Since I do not receive any income from these accounts i did not realize they needed to be reported. However, recently I was informed that interest on RRSP's needs to be reported as income in California. I am assuming I will need to file amended returns. How many years back would I need to file?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
You are correct that California does not follow the IRS's treatment of allowing taxation of earnings in an RRSP to be deferred until the time of distribution.
My best advice would be to amend your last three years of tax returns for California, and if you are notified to amend additional years, you can then do so.
You probably already know this, but you do have a REPORTING requirement for the RRSPs--Form 8938 and FBAR. The following link contains excellent information regarding the REPORTING requirements which were revised in October, 2014.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,