Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a call from a Jacob XXXXXX,

Customer Question
who said I owed money...
I received a call from a Jacob XXXXXX, who said I owed money from the years 2008-2010. He cited case #***** I do not owe the IRS any back taxes. Is this legit?
Ph2 XXXXXXXXXXX
XXX XXX XXXX
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/9/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,The IRS does not call you and say you owe money. If you had a tax debt they would send you numerous mailings before they even took collection action.If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 1.***-***-****.
The IRS has a page they published warning taxpayers about scamshttp://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam
Please let me know if you need clarification.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4