How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3000
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know the income I made years

Customer Question

I need to know the income I made for Tax years 1980....1981.....1982....The SSA on my account shows no Income for those years......My Civil Service retirement account managed by OPM shows no record of Earnings......I know that I worked during those years. Can you get a copy of my earnings, for those years, or advise the action I must take....I am in the End stages of Life, and I am trying to insure that my wife will be credited for the accurate amount of my Social Security earnings....Thank you for your assistance......Gary xxxxxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Gary.
My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
IRS only keeps records for limited amount of time, usually 6 - 10 years. The only place that actually keeps copies of your w2 is social security administration. Your only option is to contact social security administration and request copies of your w2s. There's a fee about $30 per copy.
I am sorry if that's not the answer you were hopping for.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already contacted SSA and they say there is no records.....I paid $136.00....No results.....I guess the data that far back is not available...Thank you for your help.......
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Might be in the future, but back in 80's most records were not kept as electronic files and were automatically destroyed after period of time. Social security administration is the only one that keeps records for a long period of time, much longer than IRS or other government organization. If they don't have it, than your employer probably never filed copies of your w2 with IRS or social security administration. I wish I had a better news for you.

Related Tax Questions