Tax

A closely held C corporation paid a cash dividend to the…

A closely held C corporation...
A closely held C corporation paid a cash dividend to the sole shareholder. Is that Dividend considered "qualified dividend" subject to the lower 15% dividend tax rate?... Read full answer
A closely held C corporation paid a cash dividend to the sole shareholder. Is that Dividend considered "qualified dividend" subject to the lower 15% dividend tax rate?
7/9/2015
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Most likely - yes - these are "qualified dividends"
For a definition of qualified dividends, refer to Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf
To qualify for the Qualified dividends rate, all of the following requirements must be met.
The dividends must have been paid by a U.S. corporation or a qualified foreign corporation. A foreign corporation is a qualified foreign corporation if it meets any of the following conditions.
The corporation is incorporated in a U.S. possession.
The corporation is eligible for the benefits of a comprehensive income tax treaty with the United States that the Treasury Department determines is satisfactory for this purpose and that includes an exchange of information program. For a list of those treaties, see Table 8-1.
The corporation does not meet (1) or (2) above, but the stock for which the dividend is paid is readily tradable on an established securities market in the United States.
The dividends are not of the type listed below - the following dividends are not qualified dividends.
Capital gain distributions.
Dividends paid on deposits with mutual savings banks, cooperative banks, credit unions, U.S. building and loan associations, U.S. savings and loan associations, federal savings and loan associations, and similar financial institutions. (Report these amounts as interest income.)
Dividends from a corporation that is a tax-exempt organization or farmer's cooperative during the corporation's tax year in which the dividends were paid or during the corporation's previous tax year.
Dividends paid by a corporation on employer securities held on the date of record by an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) maintained by that corporation.
Dividends on any share of stock to the extent you are obligated (whether under a short sale or otherwise) to make related payments for positions in substantially similar or related property.
Payments in lieu of dividends, but only if you know or have reason to know the payments are not qualified dividends.
Payments shown in Form 1099-DIV, box 1b, from a foreign corporation to the extent you know or have reason to know the payments are not qualified dividends.
You meet the holding period.
Holding period. You must have held the stock for more than 60 days during the 121-day period that begins 60 days before the ex-dividend date. The ex-dividend date is the first date following the declaration of a dividend on which the buyer of a stock is not entitled to receive the next dividend payment. Instead, the seller will get the dividend.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Shareholder of a small business C corporation with 32
I am CEO and shareholder of a small business C corporation with 32 shareholders. The shareholders invested in the company back in 2000. We have been in business for 30 years and manufacture high tech … read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
If I am the sold owner of a C Corp and the C Corp has
If I am the sold owner of a C Corp and the C Corp has retained earnings of $200,000, all in cash as of 12/31. Then, in January of the following year, I make an S election, how are those retained earni… read more
Fred Rook
Fred Rook
Corporate Controller,
BSBA
How to zero out Retained earnings about 9,000 and Share
How to zero out Retained earnings about 9,000 and Share Capital $1,000 in a C corporation (having a single shareholder) so as to minimize income tax when the Illinois corporation is being dissolved in… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Stop searching for answers—
My girlfriend is a veterinarian and she is self employed,
My girlfriend is a veterinarian and she is self employed, currently filing as a sole proprietor. I understand if she forms a P.C. she could save money on taxes. Is that true?… read more
Robin D.
Robin D.
Senior Tax Advisor 4,
US C corporation, foreign corporate owned in France, US corporation
US C corporation, foreign corporate owned in France, US corporation issues dividends for foreign shareholder, tax consequence to foreign corporation?… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Are dividends from a c corp that are owned by 2 shareholders
Are dividends from a c corp that are owned by 2 shareholders considered qualified for tax purposes?… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a C corp. I want to issue qualified dividends. Is
I have a C corp. I want to issue qualified dividends. Is there anything I should be concerned with that the IRS may have problems with.… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
This is a C Corp Dividend Distributions question. I think
This is a C Corp Dividend Distributions question. I think it is complicated, the person answering should have hands on experience with form 5452 and sections 301, 316 etc. THE QUESTIONS 1. Since there… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
I have two C Corps. The shareholders ( H&W) wish to liquidate
I have two C Corps. The shareholders ( H&W) wish to liquidate the Corp. Over the years they have accumulated very large loans payable to the Corp. Is there any way to lessen the tax impact?… read more
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
Tax Advisor,
I have a C-corporation that shows a loan to shareholder. The
I have a C-corporation that shows a loan to shareholder. The C-corporation was owned by one shareholder. That shareholder died recently and his son has inherited the shares of the corporation. At the … read more
Jax Tax
Jax Tax
Senior Tax Attorney,
Hello, I own a small "C" corporation. I have been advised
Hello, I own a small "C" corporation. I have been advised by my accountant to move certain personal expenditures made by the company on my behalf as "stockholder notes payable". Can you tell me how "s… read more
USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising
Partner,
Im a US citizen living in Thailand since 2009. My wife is
I'm a US citizen living in Thailand since 2009. My wife is Thai, our son is a dual Thai/US citizen, we live here full time. Occasional trips but are here more than 330 days per year. I owned a website… read more
USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising
Partner,
Stop searching for answers—
Can you transfer money from a corporation to a sole prop.
Can you transfer money from a corporation to a sole proprietor? I own 2 businesses and I wanted to transfer money from one business which is a Corp to the second business which is a sole Propiertor. I… read more
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA
Gerri A Harrison CFP EA
Financial advisor/Tax preparer,
A corp law firm with 20 partners was informed that it may be
A corp law firm with 20 partners was informed that it may be time to convert to a partnership in year 2010 due to tax increases. How is that so?… read more
Merlo
Merlo
Tax Consultant,
Father & son are 50/50 in C corp. Corp buys back all of fathers
Father & son are 50/50 in C corp. Corp buys back all of father's stock. How is this reported?… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
I am a S Corp. Can I take part of my profit as a qualified
I am a S Corp. Can I take part of my profit as a qualified dividend for the obvious tax reasons?… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
I own a significant number of shares in a privately-held Singapore
I own a significant number of shares in a privately-held Singapore company. The shares I own would be considered long term. Recently, the company issued dividends. Do I have to pay taxes on these divi… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
Small closely held C corp owner retiring, sold all assets (non-depreciable,
Small closely held C corp owner retiring, sold all assets (non-depreciable, i.e. inventory and receivables) net of liabilities for 20% cash and a note receivable for the other 80% over 8 yrs at market… read more
MequonCPA
MequonCPA
CPA Firm Owner,