Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My sister and I own two pieces of property in Texas. They

Customer Question

My sister and I own two pieces of property in Texas. They are both farmland. One contains a barn. The properties were deeded to us several years ago by our parents. Both parents have since passed away. My sister's husband works contract work and owes the IRS back taxes for employment taxes and state/county taxes not paid. Can the government seize the property jointly owned by me and my sister?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!In general - yes - the IRS may garnish a jointly owned property - if only one co-owner has a tax debt.The issue woudl be if your sister is responsible for that tax debt? If yes - that jointly owned property may be garnished.If that is ONLY her husband's debt - and she personally is NOT responsible - the IRS may not levy on such property.