How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3726
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Well obviously this has gone on some time. The IRS

Customer Question

Well obviously this has gone on for quite some time. The IRS has not contacted me at all but I figure its only a matter of time and I should be proactive. With tax and interst and penalties i am afraid it could be overwhelming. I dotn have anything for them to take, but I am afraid once I bring their attention to it they may garnish wages. is this common or am I being too afraid of it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.
Have you changed addresses in the last 6 years? Typically the IRS waits about 3 years before they contact taxpayers. Waiting a few years, the interest and penalties have added up. It is likely at this point that the IRS has filed some SFRs (Substitute for returns) for you. As the IRS has had budget cuts, they are likely behind in contacting taxpayers. Trust me, in one way or another, that contact will be made, sooner, rather than later.
It's either you bring it to their attention, or they are going to bring it to your attention. You do want to be proactive, this way it will look like you are voluntarily trying to get things on track.
To be in compliance, you need to file the last 6 years of tax returns. If you don't have all of your income information, wage and income transcripts can be requested from the IRS. Keep in mind, you will need to file the state returns as well.
Usually, if the IRS sees that a taxpayer is trying to work out their situation, they won't just automatically garnish your wages. However, I can't guarantee that they won't do this. Another thing to be concerned about is your bank account being levied. If you can cut them off at the pass by contacting them or having a reputable tax professional contact them, find out what they are saying that you owe, file the past due tax returns. They usually give 30 days to do this, and make payment arrangements if necessary, that taxpayer usually is in good shape as far as any action being taken against them.
In the response to your other inquiry, I did send an additional services request to speak with you over the telephone regarding this matter.