Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

This person has been having its taxes done by a preparer at

Customer Question
a local tax service for...
This person has been having its taxes done by a preparer at a local tax service for the past number of years. Does not have a job and hasnt had to pay anything. The IRS got hold of this person and says you have a tax lein and a warrant for your arrest. To solve this you must pay x amount of dollars through these "gift cards" purchased at a local convenient store, sent to IRS head office in DC. Now, if this person owed the IRS money wouldnt this person know this when doing taxes? Wouldnt the preparer we pay, tell us about this lein that has been on us for the past 3 years? wouldnt it show up on the tax papers kept? Also, does this person now not have a case against this local tax services company? One would think this tax service place screwed up. What should this person do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/7/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,The IRS would NOT EVER ask a taxpayer to pay x amount of dollars through these "gift cards" purchased at a local convenient store. The notice or call this person received is a big scam. If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as you have described above), then call and report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at(###) ###-####
Please let me know if you need clarification
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4