How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 23 year old son graduated in March from college and will

Customer Question

My 23 year old son graduated in March from college and will be living with me for 12 months this year and I will be paying for more than half of his support. I am divorced. Can I claim him as a dependent and file head of house hold this year? He will be making more than $4,900 and will file a tax return this year.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Your son would meet the age requirement but to be considered a full-time student, he must be enrolled for the number of hours or courses the school considers to be full time and must be a student for at least five months during the year. He did not meet the 5 month requirement.That would make him a possible dependent under Relative. Under Qualifying relative he would need to make less than the personal exemption amount. The personal exemption for 2015 is $4,000.Unfortunately, no, he is not a dependent for 2015 based on the information you supplied.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
You did not respond after you read the response. Please advise if you need clarification.