How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just bought a house in March of 2015 and are considering

Customer Question

We just bought a house in March of 2015 and are considering installing Solar. Part of the finance package includes apprx $11k in ITC, income tax credits.
Our joint income was $188K and we paid $29K in taxes throughout the year and owed $250 at years end.
How will the ITC work for us? Would we get an actual $11K cash refund or just credits towards future tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
. A taxpayer must purchase the qualifying property to claim the credits under.If your tax liability is small - you may carry forward unused credits to another tax year.The credit is 30% of the cost - that includes purchase price, labor costs and sales taxes.So far if for instance your expenses are $35,000,estimated amount of the credit is $35,000 * 30% = $10,500On your tax return - form 1040 that credit will be claimed on line 53 Residential energy credits.Based on your information - your income tax liability is above that amount - so the full credit will be used in the current tax year.Yes - your refund will be increase by that amount.