Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a 5071C letter from the irs about two months ago.

Customer Question
I am on supplemental security...
I received a 5071C letter from the irs about two months ago. I am on supplemental security income and do not pay taxes. After I called the irs and reported this and live alone they sent me a letter saying I may be the victim of identity theft. Now I just received an email from ideal tax solutions that I may have my bank account levied since I owe the irs money. This is not true. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/6/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,I would not contact Ideal Tax Solutions. Since you previously contacted the IRS and this may not have been resolved, contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-***-***-****. They have teams available to assist. The specialized unit will be able to check on any real levies and assist in dealing with matter for you. If you did not already complete one, a Form 14039 will be requested of you. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Different expert here - My name is ***** ***** I disagree with the course of action you should take regarding the 5071C letter you received from the IRS.
As you mentioned in your original question, the IRS already suspects you may be/are the victim of identity theft. That is the reason you received the 5071C letter.
The following link contains excellent information regarding the 5071C letter:
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Employees/Understanding-Your-5071C-Letter
As you can see from the information in the link, the following is the action you should take as soon as possible:
•Use the secure Identity Verification Service website idverify.irs.gov. It's quick and secure. You should have available a copy of your prior year tax return and your current year tax return, if you filed one, including supporting documents.
•If you cannot use the Idverify website, you can call the IRS using the toll-free Identity Verification telephone number provided in your letter. Again, you should have available a copy of your prior year tax return and your current year tax return, if you filed one, including supporting documents.
•If you did not file the return in question, you can use either option to notify the IRS.
My preference would be to call the IRS at the number on your 5071C letter since the integrity of some of the IRS website was breached several weeks ago.
As to Ideal Tax Solutions, ignore and delete the email you received from them. It sounds like a "phishing" email. You do not file a tax return, do not owe any taxes, and have no need of their services.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Hello again,I disagree with the other expert. You already called the number on the notice you received, you did what you were supposed to do. Contact the Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-***-***-****. You need them to make certain that no levy has been placed on any of your accounts. I still stand by my advise not to contact Ideal Tax Solutions (as I advised in my very first sentence). Companies like that do have access to information about liens (because they are public records) but you do not need them.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4