Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had three W2G forms that I must have lost. I would have

Customer Question
I had three W2G forms...
I had three W2G forms that I must have lost. I would have put them on my return if I had had some way to know I was short forms. My CD Taxes would have taken 2% tax on them.
Now the IRS is saying I did not file my Taxes correctly, and they want to charge me $4,00.00! is there some way I can fix this problem help!
Clyde Jones
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/4/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,What the IRS did was add the amounts from the W2Gs without regard to any losses you may have been able to claim on Schedule A.You should prepare a 1040X with the W2G information added and use any losses you can substantiate on Schedule A (along with your other allowed amounts for Schedule A) and see if the longer form and claiming losses can reduce the tax. You would then mark that you disagree with the increase and send the 1040X in with the copy of the notice.You generally are given a limited time to respond to the IRS notice so do not delay. If you need additional time to respond call the number on the notice and let them know.
Where do I get the 1040X form?
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf There is a link to the form but if you did your return online or using software, that is your best source to easily complete the 1040X.Just log back into that program and click on amended return .
I know there was some confusion on your part about responding so I am pleased to know you could finally view
JACUSTOMER-9dyoa64j- Last Viewed on 7/4/2015 at 12:46 PM
Please let me know if you need more information.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4