How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had three W2G forms that I must have lost. I would have

Customer Question

I had three W2G forms that I must have lost. I would have put them on my return if I had had some way to know I was short forms. My CD Taxes would have taken 2% tax on them.
Now the IRS is saying I did not file my Taxes correctly, and they want to charge me $4,00.00! is there some way I can fix this problem help!
Clyde Jones
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,What the IRS did was add the amounts from the W2Gs without regard to any losses you may have been able to claim on Schedule A.You should prepare a 1040X with the W2G information added and use any losses you can substantiate on Schedule A (along with your other allowed amounts for Schedule A) and see if the longer form and claiming losses can reduce the tax. You would then mark that you disagree with the increase and send the 1040X in with the copy of the notice.You generally are given a limited time to respond to the IRS notice so do not delay. If you need additional time to respond call the number on the notice and let them know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I get the 1040X form?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago. There is a link to the form but if you did your return online or using software, that is your best source to easily complete the 1040X.Just log back into that program and click on amended return .
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
I know there was some confusion on your part about responding so I am pleased to know you could finally view
JACUSTOMER-9dyoa64j- Last Viewed on 7/4/2015 at 12:46 PM
Please let me know if you need more information.