Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

On 7/1/2015 there was a message that the IRS has been trying

Customer Question

on 7/1/2015 there was a message that the IRS has been trying to get in contact with me and this was my final notice-they will be filing a lawsuit against me.
This was the first message I received.
The number for me to call(###) ###-####I haven't called because I don't think I can answer any questions properly.
On the sheet I have from the IRS the numbers are 1-800 numbers, so I am wondering if this is a scam.
I have my taxes done by AARP at the senior citizens center - I am told there aren't any representatives available in the off tax season to answer questions.
I would appreciate any suggestions you would have for me to solve my dilemma.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!
That is a scam - and the IRS issued a warning regarding that....
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
See here
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Scams-Consumer-Alerts
IRS-Impersonation Telephone Scam
An aggressive and sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, has been making the rounds throughout the country. Callers claim to be employees of the IRS, but are not. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They use fake names and bogus IRS identification badge numbers. They may know a lot about their targets, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling.
Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting.
Or, victims may be told they have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information.
If the phone isn't answered, the scammers often leave an “urgent” callback request.
Note that the IRS will never:
1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill;
2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe;
3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card;
4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or
5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
How Do You Report Suspected Tax Fraud Activity?
See here
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/How-Do-You-Report-Suspected-Tax-Fraud-Activity%3F
Do not contact the caller - and do NOT provide them with ANY information.
There should not be any other option.