How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3363
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm applying 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. Do I Need to

Customer Question

I'm applying for a 501(c)(3) tax exempt status. Do I Need to file Forms 8821 and 5768?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
Form 8821 is authorizes any individual, corporation, firm, organization, or partnership you designate to inspect and/or receive your confidential information for the type of tax and the years or periods listed on the form. You do not need this form when applying for tax exempt status.
Form 5768 is used to elect/revoke an election made by a 501(c)(3) organization to make expenditures to influence legislation. Unless your 501(c)(3) will be making such expenditures, this form is not needed when applying for tax exempt status.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,