Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a bill taxes from the IRA.

Customer Question
I received a bill for...
I received a bill for unpaid taxes for 2014 from the IRA. This situation arose due to Identity Thief against myself (age 76) and my sister (age 80) at a time when we both had medical problem (my sister is still in a nursing home and has had two (2) amputations.) We lost our rental house and all its contents, all IDs were stolen. The tax bill resulted from my credit the $32,000 dollars from my IRA (I retired from the Department of State, Foreign Service in May 2003) on which I had 10% taken out for taxes. I paid my 2013 taxes and then sent in my taxes for 2014. The 2014 bill is a result of the taxes due for the IRA. Since the perpetrator has not yet been arrested I need to know how I can take care of the taxes due. I only have my pensions and if I have to close my IRA I will then had to pay a huge tax bill for 2015.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/29/2015
Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 2 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA
I would contact an IRS advocate and file an appeal (explanation).
You should be easily able to prove the money was never received by yourself.
I have had this occur with three clients.
If you would prefer telephone discussion so I can explain in detail what and how to do this as well as what you will need, simply accept the offer I am about to send.
Otherwise we can chat back and forth. About 95% of my clients prefer the telephone discussion/
I am sending the offer now.
The solution should be a smile one in that you will contact the IRA custodian and from them trace where the funds were sent to and eventually cashed (bank or whatever account).
Then you will contact that institution and get records of further transfers or withdrawals.
This documentation should prove that it was NOT you and the IRA custodian will be responsible for replacing these funds.
I assume this has been reported to the police. Once you find if the mail was used (probably) report it to the postal inspector (local Post office). If it was between states also contact the FBI.
I see you are online. I have to leave for about 30 minutes. If you accept the telephone discussion I will be notified (even if you simply text back).
ShawnA
ShawnA