Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am wanting to know if my husband's Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veterans P

Customer Question
ension from Australia is taxable...
I am wanting to know if my husband's Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veterans P ension from Australia is taxable on our USA tax return..My husband can no longer work due to the disability and it is not taxable in Australia...when I read treaty info..I interpret it to say it is not taxable in the USA either...Can you help me with this? My husband has no income in us.. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/28/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,You can exclude from income amounts you receive as a pension, annuity, or similar allowance for personal injury or sickness resulting from active service in the armed forces of any country.If your husband receives a payment that is for a service related injury from Australia it is not taxable in the US.
In the US this is called Service-connected disability.
Not sure what else you require. Please let me know
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4