Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have been volunteering alot of hours to a Learning center

Customer Question
501c3. Can I deduct hours...
I have been volunteering alot of hours to a Learning center 501c3. Can I deduct hours x $ as a tax deduction for 2015?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/28/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist. Unfortunately, contributed work is not a tax deduction for you. The mileage back and forth is, money you spend out of pocket for the learning center is, but work is not. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi.So sorry, but we can't take a deduction for volunteered time..But although the deductions that ARE available to volunteers may not add up to big dollars, (since there's no deduction for the actual hours they put in) there ARE some things that are deductible..Even a highly skilled volunteer, such as a graphic designer or lawyer, can't deduct the value of his or her time.Volunteers CAN, however, deduct car and transportation expenses incurred to get back and forth from home to your office, or to meetings or other sites (such as a special event, or to deliver food to a homebound patient).Volunteers who drive can choose between deducting actual gas and oil used, or else take a mileage deduction..
.Volunteers candeduct other expenses they incur during the course of their volunteer work too. For example, board members can might deduct unreimbursed phone, postage, and copying charges associated with preparing for meetings..Volunteers at an animal shelter can deduct the treats that they're asked to provide in order to help train dogs during walks..Sunday school teachers can deduct supplies they bring in.
But again, the time itself does not create a deduction
here's a great reference on this:http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/remind-nonprofit-volunteers-tax-deductions-29659.html
I hope you'll rate me (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) based on thoroughness and accuracy,rather than any good news/bad news content .Thanks,Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS