Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Father-in-law sold his house. House was 30% in his name and

Customer Question
70% in childrens' (5) name...
father-in-law sold his house. House was 30% in his name and 70% in childrens' (5) name. The 5 children are due to receive $19,000 each. Children did not live in house. Is the $19,000 reported as a long term capital gain?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/27/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,If the house was sold FOR a gain then they WILL have to report their proportionate share
Les say that (to make the math easy) the house was urchased for 100000 and sold for 200,000 there would be a 100,000 gain
So each child owned 70 / 5 = 14%This means that they each have a .14 x 100000 = $14,000 gainto report (given that assumtion)
Capital gain = sales price minus basisand basis is purchase price (or the puchase price of the giver, if this was gifted to them) plus any improvements
Make sense?
Ok, I still don't see you coming into the chat here ... but yes, the children will have a reportable gain if the house was sold for more than it's basis (what the owners have in it, so to speak).If they help foor more than one year, this IS a long-term gain.Long term gains are taxed based on the household's total taxable income for the tx year (of which the capital gain IS a part)Long-term gains and qualified dividends taxed at0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket
… I’ll move us to “Question and Answer” mode … (We can still continue our discussion there, just not in real-time chat) … This way JustAnswer won’t charge you for for additional chat time and we can continue the dialogue.
If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen)… That’s the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here.
I'll be waiting for you in Q&APlease let me kknow if you have aany questions at all.Lane
I’ve moved us to the Q&A mode so JustAnswer won’t charge you for more Chat time.
Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all..
Lane
I'm just checking back in to see how everything's going.
Did my answer help?
Let me know ...
Lane
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS