How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We received a notice from the state of Oregon that

Customer Question

We received a notice from the state of Oregon for 2010 that our taxes were underpaid. They took the money we owed out of our tax refund we received this year. We still have the penalty and interest we had to pay. We were told we could ask that the penalties and interest be waived if we wrote a letter to the state asking for it be refunded or reduced.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
Yes, it is called abatement of penalty for reasonable cause. You will have to write a letter to Oregon tax department explaining why you didn’t or couldn’t pay your taxes. A reasonable cause would be a major life changing event, illness or death in the family, destruction by fire or tornado, theft, unexpected financial hardship or other circumstance beyond your control. Your penalty could be reduced or eliminated, however the interest is usually reduced or eliminated only if you can prove that Oregon tax department made a mistake.
There are no guarantees and the decision is made on case by case basis but it s worth to try.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
I see you read my respond but didn't get any feedback. Do you have any questions or is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!