Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Maybe, we just received a letter from the state of Georgia

Customer Question
that we owed taxes from...
Maybe, we just received a letter from the state of Georgia that we owed taxes from 1997 and 1998. We have lived in Kansas since 2005 and have never received anything prior to now. I can't imagine that we owed anything at all, but we don't have our tax returns from that long ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/25/2015
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi
I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you with your question.
First, there is a "Statute of Limitations" after which the State of GA can not pursue you for taxes.
In most cases that Statute of Limitations is 3 years. However, if they think you committed fraud, there is NO Statute of limitation.
The above information came from:
http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/790699059ac04e1586377399f02fb23a
Knowing that their time seems to have run out, I would call them and ask what the notice is specifically for.
You may call them at 1-***-***-**** Option #2, and ask why they are only now coming after you for such old tax returns.
If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.
If this has answered your question, please take the moment to rate positive so that I may be given credit for working with you today.
It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge
Thank you for choosing justanswer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer