How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3277
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

H Robin, I'm filing an FBAR myself and my wife. She is a US citizen and I'

Customer Question

H Robin, I'm filing an FBAR for my myself and my wife. She is a US citizen and I'm a US permanent resident. I am a UK citizen and we live in the UK. We have 4 UK bank accounts (with more than $10,000 aggregate) and I am reporting all of them. Two are checking, two savings. All were mine from before we were married. My spouse has since been added to one of the checking accounts, so that's our joint checking. I am therefore trying to report all our accounts on the same FBAR, with her listed as the joint owner of that specific account. However, I am confused whether I need to file a separate FBAR for her, covering the other three accounts? She does not have signatory authority over them but we both place some of our earnings into the savings account, so does that technically mean she has an "interest" in that account, even if she has no signature authority? It's an unnecessarily confusing system and could be way easier, I feel! For the record we have completed Form 114a. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
The criteria for FBAR is if an account is maintained in the name of two persons jointly, or if several persons each own a partial interest in an account, each of those United States persons has a financial interest in that account and, generally, each person must file the FBAR. Under the individual reporting requirement, persons who file a joint tax return must file separate FBARs. In the past however, FinCEN has accepted a single FBAR for an account jointly held by husband and wife. The IRS is continuing this practice.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thomas.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.
Best regards,