How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok, I have been researching this information and am completely

Customer Question

Ok, I have been researching this information and am completely confused and several people are telling me different things. So here it goes. I am currently a substitute at USPS as a rural carrier. I will be full time in a few months, chances are I will be getting a route that I have to use my own vehicle. So for taxes can I fill out and deduct on form 2016 or not? The route will be 30 miles, and pays 29.20 reimbursement for using own vehicle. People have told me I can itemize and include the auto loan interest, insurance, registration, repairs, gas, oil changes, and so on. Is this true. Someone else mentioned that I should deduct depreciation. I thought this was only if you had your own business. When I get the route I will be getting a right hand drive and leaving it at the post office, so it's use will only be for delivering mail. I am just wondering about federal. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
You are a rural mail carrier if you are an employee of the United States Postal Service (USPS) who performs services involving the collection and delivery of mail on a rural route.
Your employer (USPS) should not include the amount of reimbursement in your income. If you are a rural mail carrier and received a qualified reimbursement, you cannot use the standard mileage rate.
If you have additional expenses that are not reimbursed you can use form 2106 and claim those.
You can claim depreciation as well as gas,insurance,oil, and repairs as expenses. You will be completing part 2 of the 2106 first before you make your entries on Part 1.
Your expense will be carried to the Schedule A and then limited to 2% of your Adjusted Gross income so you will not see the exact amount as a deduction when you complete the Schedule A but if you itemize your deductions already then you will be at least receiving an additional amount.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
I hope the information was helpful but if you have been researching you must have already come across most of what I supplied.
Let me know please if you need more information.