Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When does the IRS require that I change from a quarterly to…

Customer Question
When does the IRS require...
When does the IRS require that I change from a quarterly to monthly depositor? I know now that total withholding for this quarter will exceed $2500. But, do I have to switch mid-quarter? Or can I just wait until after I file this quarter to switch to monthly?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Tax
6/23/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,Liability of $2,500 or more: Unless you are eligible to make payments with your return, you must deposit your taxes. If you are a Form 941 filer and you are not sure your total tax liability for the current quarter will be less than $2,500, (and your liability for the preceding quarter was not less than $2,500), make deposits using the semiweekly or monthly rules so you won't be subject to failure-to-deposit penalties.
SO, as you cen see, your safe bet is start doing monthly right awa (at the beginning of the next month
Here's the IRS guidance on this ... Start reading at the 4th paragraphhttp://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc757.html
Please let me know if you have any questions at all ... Lane
I’ve moved us to the Q&A mode so JustAnswer won’t charge you for more Chat time.
Please let me know if you need more here.
Lane