Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the amount of taxes that you pay in NJ

Customer Question
for an inheritance of 10.2...
What is the amount of taxes that you pay in NJ for an inheritance of 10.2 million?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/22/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello,NJ inheritance tax is based on your relationship to the deceased and then the rate applies based on the dollar amount.Class A beneficiaries, which include spouses, civil union partners, domestic partners, parents, grandparents, and descendants (including those legally adopted), are also exempt from the New Jersey inheritance tax.Class C beneficiaries (brother or sister of decedent; husband, wife, or widow(er) of a child of decedent; civil union partner or surviving civil union partner of a child of decedent) are taxed at 11%–16%, with the first $25,000 exempt. Class D beneficiaries (not otherwise classified) are taxed at 15%–16%, with no tax on transfers having an aggregate value of less than $500.
I hope the information was useful. Please advise if you need clarification before you rate.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4