Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son and his girlfriend thought they were legally married…

Customer Question
My son and his girlfriend...
My son and his girlfriend thought they were legally married and filed a joint income tax return. When they decided to divorce they discovered they were not legally married. They've only been together 14 months. Did filing the income tax jointly make them legally married? Do they have to do anything legally now to officially divorce since they were not legally married? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/21/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
Filing a joint tax return did not make your son and his girlfriend legally married.
They will each need to file amended tax returns to correct their filing status to single.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
At my end, it shows you are now offline. If you have any other questions, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent