Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is it possible to practice US Tax return preparation and Tax…

Customer Question
Is it possible to practice...
Is it possible to practice US Tax return preparation and Tax Advisory from foreign country? Is mandatory to register company in US to practice the Tax Professional services?
At present I am non-resident Alien and moved out of US
I have SSN, PTIN and I am Qualified EA. When I am trying to register the company in US, it is stating that US address is mandatory.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/16/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
When forming a corporation in the U.S., a U.S. address is mandatory for the registered agent of the corporation. The registered agent is the person who is authorized to receive legal documents on behalf of the business during standard business hours.
In other words, the issue is not whether you can prepare U.S. taxes from a foreign country, but rather, forming the U.S. business entity since many people from all over the world prepare U.S. tax returns either for themselves or on someone else's behalf.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Hi Barb,Thank you for your response. I am still unclear, my question without us company registration(sole proprietorship/Corp/Parternship), can I provide my provide my name and my PTIN as Tax return preparer in Tax return paid preparer section? When I looked into IRS pursuant to section 6011(e)(3) there is no clear information on this.Also, If I am planning to prepare the more than 10 returns then there is mandatory e-filing tax returns, to do that I need FEIN. To get FEIN I need US address otherwise IRS will not grant me the FEIN? Please confirm? vice versa if I prepare less than 10 tax returns then FEIN is not required. In this situation can I provide my name and my PTIN details as tax return preparer?
Let me research this further as to foreign tax preparation without company formation, and I will let you know later today. I have several colleagues with whom I can confer on this topic.
Best regards,
Barb
Hi Barb,Sure, will wait for your response.Regards
Perfect. Thank you.
Here are links which contain excellent information which you can review in the meantime:
http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Become-an-Authorized-e-file-Provider
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3112.pdf
http://www.cpa2biz.com/Content/media/PRODUCER_CONTENT/Newsletters/Articles_2013/CPA/Feb/ElectronicTaxFraud.jsp
Hi Barb,I went with all the weblink you have send, Since I have not found the accurate answer, I raised this question.Regards,
Hi Barb,Before raising the question, I made a research by going to many pub and IRS Section codes. Your provided link I went through long back. Since I have not found the accurate answer, I raised this question.Regards,
I sent the links for you to review while I research this further for you.
I will let you know what I find out.
Best regards,
Barb
As I suspected, there is NO requirement that you must live in the U.S. to obtain an EFIN. I called the IRS e-services department, and spoke to a representative for about 20 minutes. He referred me to Publication 3112 (specifically Page 7) which gives the requirements. You are required to be a U.S. citizen OR resident alien; however, the IRS provides EFINs on a case by case basis. Because of your credentials, the representative strongly suggested that you apply as soon as possible since the process can take time.
If you wish to speak with the IRS e-services department, the number is(###) ###-#### Their hours of operation are 6:30 am to 6:00 pm (CST), Monday through Friday.
Let me know what you think.
Best regards,
Barb
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my response since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent