Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I won a raffle at a church diner with my two daughters. I received

Customer Question
$2,000 and my daughters received...
I won a raffle at a church diner with my two daughters. I received $2,000 and my daughters received $4,000 each. The church sent me a notice that I won $8000, which was sent to the IRS. On my tax return I declared $8,000 instead of $2,000 since it made no difference on my tax return. However, it did make a difference on my town property tax which could reduce by 50% if I had declared the actual amount received of $2,000 or even $1,200 less than the $8,000 stated on my tax return. How can this be corrected.
Very truly yours
Vincent J. Romano
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/15/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi Vincent. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
If you want to correct your federal tax return, you need to file form 1040X.
Here's link to the form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf
It is fill in form, you can type directly into it and print and sign.
And here are instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf
The form cannot be e-filed, mailing address are on p. 12. If you live in NY, you will mail it to
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Kansas City, MO###-##-####
Let me know if you have any questions.
Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 2 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. Retired CPA
Different expert here. Very concerned about the above response from the other expert..
You say "YOU" won. The church is supposed to report this to the IRS (by law) using the winners SS number. If they did report it all under your ss number (and it sounds like they did) there is going to be an issue if you file an amended return showing 2,000 and they were told you won 8,000!!! If it was reported under the three ss numbers as 2,000/4000/4000 then filing an amended return is ok.
However it seems like it was all filed under you as "it made no difference in taxes". I'm betting if the girls filed it there would be taxes because there incomes are probably higher.
I would contact the church and inquire how they reported this to the IRS.
This could be very serious and open a can of worms. Before you charge ahead you may want to have a discussion and think things through.
I will offer you a call to discuss this because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. This is the minimum JA allows for additional services ($5-$500).
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now.
ShawnA
ShawnA