Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I own a home that we rented from January 2012 thru March 2014. We move…

Customer Question
I own a home that...
I own a home that we rented from January 2012 thru March 2014. We moved back into the hope in April 2014. I am trying to calculate my 2014 Schedue E for Rental Expenses. While this may qualify as a Vacation home due to the dates, I am also reading that if the home has been rented for 12 consecutive months prior, then I am able to take expenses.
I am not sure why my tax software is denying me xertain expenses i.e. Mortgage INsurance and Depreciation, yet allowing me "Other Expenses" on line 19. Can you give me some help here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
6/15/2015
Tax Professional: ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions. replied 2 years ago
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. Retired CPA
what tax software are you using?
I am using Proseries. I am a CPA and was hoping to talk to another CPA with Rental Experience.
Can you get me to someone like that.
I'll opt pit as I am not familiar with that software.
That's fine. Can you see that I am not billed.
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and can assist you today.
Please confirm you still want assistance.
PDtax
I see you looked in, and did not confirm that you wanted assistance.
I will opt out, and advise customer service.
Tax Professional: Angie, Tax Preparer replied 2 years ago
Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer
I use Proseries. If you still need assistance let me know. (FYI) Generally when your deductions are limited for this reason on the Sched E, then they automatically carry over to the Sched A.. ie... 50% of Mortgage interest appears on the Sched A since the other 50% is on the E .... if this isn't the resolution, please let me know and we can work together to resolve it.
Angie
Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer