How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12698
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter from IRS saying that you have not

Customer Question

I received a letter from IRS saying that you have not received our 2012 tax form.
It also sated that you have a credit on our account of $481.00. social security number for this account is XXXXXXXXXXX. I also have a printed copy of what I sent you. What do I need to do to .
James XXXXXX and Rachel XXXXXXXX.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
prefer answer by e-mail
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
This is not IRS directly.
You have reached ... a site that matches expert users with verified credentials with people who have questions in the areas of tax law, finance, medicine and others.
Taxpayers get this letter when they have had tax withheld from their pay, but no return was filed (OR it never reached them), so they can't send the refund.
You can read more about that here:
All you need to do is send in the return to the normal filing address, so that they can process it and send your refund.
To collect this money a return must be filed with the IRS no later than three years from the due date of the return.
Here's the list of where you send the return based on the state you live in.
Just click on your state and you'll be taken to a table that tells you where BOTH professional AND individual taxpayers should send their return.
Hope this helps . Let me know if you have ANY questions at all, here.
If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen)… That’s the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here. … However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, be sure to come back here, so you won’t have to pay for an additional question.
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
... just checking back in to see if you saw my answer.
Again, just filing the return as a normal filing, will kick out the refund.
See the information in my answer above, about where to send the return
Let me know if you have ANY questions at all...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I have do to correctly reply to the letter asking for my 2012 return I have a copy what was sent in.?
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
They are, by sending you this, saying that it was never filed the first time.
And that's NOT a problem if you don't owe anything (for example, if you had enough withheld to cover your actual tax liability).
What they do in a case like this is calculate your taxes for you, using all they have, which is the income reported on W-2's, 1099s etc.
That's where they came up with the amount.
You can certainly reply by sending a copy of what you sent.
Since it has a signature on it that may serve as well ...
What you might want to do to be safe, is send in the copy and then send in something (a reprint) that has an ORIGINAL signature, in the event that they won't accept the copy as a filed return.
You can send this in with a cover letter (telling them that you filed originally, are sending in a copy, and are sending in an original in case they need one) along with and a copy of their notice, to help them "connect the dots."