How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter bought a modest condo (first home) about a year ago. She's done quite we

Customer Question

My daughter bought a modest condo (first home) about a year ago. She's done quite well with it as the value looks to have nearly doubled. She's now thinking she wants a bigger place. If she sells her current place and buys another place, is she subject to cap gains tax and, if so, is there anything she can do to avoid them? Again, just over one year of ownership and sheearns about $55k/year, if that matters.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!Yes - as long as she did not own and did not use the property as her primary residence at least two years - the gain realized on that sale will be taxable.For her advantage - because the property was owned more than a year - the gain will be classified as long term and will be taxed at reduced long term capital gain rate.With her income level - that will likely be mot more than 15% on teh federal level plus state income tax.
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.
If you don't meet the eligibility test, you may still qualify for partial exclusion if you moved because of work, health, or an unforeseeable event. If she simply sells because she wants a bigger place - she woudl not qualify for the partial exclusion...Sorry if you expected differently.