How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12024
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sell a rent house I have owned years. Buyer

Customer Question

I want to sell a rent house I have owned for 12 years. Buyer wants to give me 8k downpayment and I will carry note for 32k balance for next 10 years (seller to make monthly payments to me). Cost basis is 12k after I consider depreciation and improvements. Sale price 40k. How much is capital gain? 28k? Is arrangement considered a sale or rent to own? I know I must re-invest money in like investment to avoid cap gain tax but must I re-invest 8k or the full 28k?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Yes the gain is 28k ... but there are TWO different ways to handle lessening the blow from the gain(1) What's called an installment sale.(which lets you only recognize gain as you've receive it over the years)YOU can read the IRS guidance on installment sales here: OR(2) Doing what's called a like kind exchange Where you identify a replacement property and defer all gain into that property
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
The 1031 (like-kind) exchange is a very specific process and comes with several requirements (such as using what's called a Qualified intermediary, to actually yake the proceeds from the sale of the first property and invest into the replacement property). YOu also have to identify a repolacement property within 45 days and do the buy on the second property within 180 days
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Here's the IRS guidance on the 1031 (like-kind) exchange:
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Back to the installment sale for a minute ... since that's really what you already have, by default.The way the gain is recognized each year, (as you receive the payments), is as follows:The gain for each year of the installment period is calculated thus:Annual Gain=Total Gain / Contract Price × Annual Payment
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
You only recognize that prorated amount of gain and then, of course, recognize the interest income each year, as well
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know your questions ...Lane

Related Tax Questions